FAU softball pounds FIU
From Miami Herald Staff Reports
Amy Bukovich and Mandie Fishback drove in two runs each on Senior Day as Florida Atlantic's softball team defeated visiting Florida International 7-1 on Saturday.
The win put the Owls in position to earn the Sun Belt's regular-season title in their first year as members of the conference. FAU needs South Alabama to defeat Troy today to clinch the crown.
The Owls got out front quick. Becky Brandies and Jenna Lopez led the game off with back-to-back doubles and starter Jen Musillo retired the first 10 batters she faced before giving up a single in the fourth inning.
Musillo (21-10) won her 11th straight game for the Owls (36-22, 16-8).
• Barry 1-0, Rollins 0-2: Amber Jack was near perfect in the opener, throwing seven innings of no-hit ball and striking out two for the win at home.
Jack also started the second game, but a two-run homer in the fourth by Rollins' Jamie Rausch proved to be the difference.
• Miami Dade wins three: The Sharks won three games in the junior college district tournament in Polk County.
In the first game, MDC beat Florida Community College 4-2 behind Jessica Vera's home run.
In the second game, MDC edged Indian River Community College 3-2 on Jessica Hernandez's home run in the eighth inning.
In the final game, the Sharks beat Santa Fe Community College 5-4 after Karin De los Santos scored the winning run in the seventh inning. Lauren Lopez had the winning RBI.
MDC plays in the semifinal today.
• Florida-Kentucky: The 20th-ranked Gators won the opener of a three-game series 7-3 but were delayed by weather with the second game tied at 4.
Two Gators, however, tied individual records. Melissa Zick had a hit to move her streak to 13 games and Kim Waleszonia hit a double in the fifth inning of Game 2 for her 76th hit of the year. Waleszonia also stole a base in the third inning of Game 1 for her 20th steal of the season. She became the first player since 2003 to steal 20 or more bases in a season.
• Lynn wins regional: Lynn won its 11th consecutive regional title with a 5-1 victory against Rollins College. With the win, the Knights advance to the Round of 16 next week.
Lynn (23-3) opened the match with a 3-0 doubles sweep.
The women's team will join the men's team next week in Altamonte Springs, taking on the winner of Drury and Grand Valley State.
• MDC wins: Miami Dade's baseball team defeated Gulf Coast Community 9-1 late Friday in a game called after seven innings.
Elih Villanueva earned his 10th win of the season as the Sharks improved to 44-10.
• Miami man wins: Miami's Jon Williams clocked 17 minutes, 38 seconds to capture the United for Families Stop the Tears road race in Port St. Lucie.
Cynthia Washam of Jensen Beach was the first woman to finish the 3.1-mile course, clocking 21:24. Jeffrey Tait, 12, of Miami won the 11-14 boys' age group.
email: jeffrey @ jeffreyrunning.com (remove spaces)