SPOTLIGHT | ON PARTICIPANT SPORTS
Dates set for Mercedes-Benz Corporate Run series
BY JIM VARSALLONE
Dates have been set for the 2009 Mercedes-Benz Corporate Run series in Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach and Miami.
Each race starts at 6:45 p.m. on April 2 at Huizenga Plaza in downtown Fort Lauderdale, April 15 at the Meyer Amphitheatre in West Palm Beach and April 30 at Bayfront Park in Miami.
The Mercedes-Benz Corporate Run originated in downtown Miami in 1985, with more than 1,300 participants. Twenty-four years later, it has grown into a three-race circuit drawing more than 25,000 participants.
The Mercedes-Benz Corporate Run is done on a certified five-kilometer (3.1-mile) course for running or walking.
To request a company registration packet, visit mercedesbenzcorporate run.com or call 305-666-RACE (7223). The early entry fee is $25 per person.
• Jen Walter, 25, of Bal Harbour won the Surfside Beach 5K on Feb. 15. She covered the 3.1-mile course in 20 minutes, 43 seconds. Adrienne Higley, 30, was second in 21:56 and North Miami's Diana Aqra, 23, placed third in 23:46.
On the men's side, JeffreyTait, 14, of Miami finished first in 18:15. Daniel Daley, 44, of Miami Shores was second in 18:28, and Bal Harbour's Jeff Snyder, 46, took third in 19:35. Visit mul tirace.com.
• The Carnaval Miami 8K Run is at 6:45 p.m. Friday at Calle Ocho on Brickell Avenue and Southwest 8th Street in Miami. Visit active.com.
• The 13.1 Marathon Miami is at 6 a.m. Sunday at the Fillmore Miami Beach at the Jackie Gleason Theater, 1700 Washington Ave., Miami Beach. Visit 131mi ami.com.
• The Fort Lauderdale Rugby Club has pledged to raise $2,500 for the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Southern Florida through its 33rd annual Fort Lauderdale Ruggerfest event. Catch the action Friday through Sunday, as teams from throughout the U.S. travel to Tradewinds Park, 3600 W. Sample Rd. in Coconut Creek, to compete in one of the nation's largest rugby events.
Proceeds from the event will go toward cosponsoring the wish of a child with a life-threatening medical condition. Admission is free. Sponsorships are available. Call Sarah Bradley at 525-330-2118 or e-mail rug firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit ftlruggerfest.com.
• The Jaguar Mid-Wint er's Etchells is at 11:30 a.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the Biscayne Bay Yacht Club, 2540 South Bayshore Dr., Miami. Visit etchells fleet20.org.
• Carter, a 2 ½-year-old Vizsla Hungarian pointing dog from Cooper City, did not place during his second appearance at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show in New York. With his owner and handler, Brittany Stout, 17, a junior at Cooper City High, Carter competed in the breed category Feb. 7-8 in Secaucus, N.J.
• The Florida Panthers Foundation's Fourth Annual Ice and Dice Casino Night, originally scheduled for Feb. 20, was postponed. Plans for rescheduling the event will be announced in the coming weeks. People holding tickets should call 954-835-7715 for information.